Support for Pubs

The Government announced in the Spring Budget a new relief scheme of up to £1,000 to all pubs with a rateable value of £100,000 or less.  The relief will apply for the 2017 and 2018 financial years.

The scheme will be available for eligible occupied properties. Where pubs are part of a chain, relief will be available for each eligible property in the chain, subject to meeting State Aid requirements.  

For further information on state aid law GOV.UK This link will take you to an external website... .

Eligible pubs should:

  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar.

 Please note that the following types of uses are not eligible for pub relief:

  • restaurants
  • cafes
  • nightclubs
  • hotels
  • snack bars
  • guesthouses
  • boarding houses
  • sporting venues
  • music venues
  • festival sites
  • theatres
  • museums
  • exhibition halls
  • cinemas
  • concert halls
  • casinos

There is no relief available under this scheme for properties with a rateable value of £100,000 or more. Eligibility for the relief and the relief itself will be assessed and calculated on a daily basis.

For more details on the eligibility criteria and on how to apply please see the application (in downloads section of this page). Or contact the Business Rates team.

Last reviewed: 10 - 07 - 2018

Was this page helpful?YesNo